History of Lebanese Red Cross
The Lebanese Red Cross (LRC) is a national society that was established on July 9, 1945 as an independent National Society. In 1946, it was recognized by the State as a public nonprofit organization and as an auxiliary team to the medical service of the Lebanese Army.
In 1947, the Lebanese Red Cross joined the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, which today has affiliates in 178 countries, and became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Furthermore, it is a founding member of the Secretariat General of the Organization of the Arab Red Crescent and Red Cross Societies.
The Lebanese Red Cross Society is led by volunteers, whose mission is to provide relief to victims of natural and human disasters, and help people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies, and to mitigate the suffering of the most vulnerable.
Humanity - Impartiality - Neutrality - Independence - Voluntary Service - Unity - Universality
The Lebanese Red Cross consists of:
The General Assembly, where the ultimate authority rests
The Central Committee composed of 46 volunteer members
The Executive Committee composed of, in addition to the president, the vice-president and the treasurer, and 11 heads of the active departments at the LRC
The Lebanese Red Cross is a nationwide society that accomplishes its mission through the following centers and units:
- 38 Medical - social centers
- 46 EMS centers and 4 operation rooms
- 32 branches or local committees
- 35 Youth clubs
- 13 Mobile clinics
- 12 Blood transfusion centers
- 1 faculty and 4 Nursing institutes
- 1 Orthopedic workshop
- 1 Disaster Management Unit and 12 team